Sunday, February 3, 2008

Valentine's Day Quandry

Valentine's Day is only 11 days away and like every year, I'm stumped on what to give. And this year, it's not only my husband's gift that has me stumped but also my son's teacher and beyond that lies the confusion of who all I should be buying for in the first place. So I'm writing this in hopes that one of you might be able to offer my some sound advice on unique or cool (and reasonably affordable) Valentine's gifts for someone besides your sweetheart.

As you all know, I'm homeroom mom for Dakota's class. Homeroom Mom gets the pleasure of coordinating a Valentine's Day party for the class. I was able to round up an appropriate amount of junk from Oriental Trading for the kids, although I'm more confused about the gift for Miss Smith. And I can't decide if I should buy his other care providers a little something...and then there's Elle's daycare provider who I adore but we don't really do Valentine's with her. Blah, Blah, Blah.
A friend of mine told me about a local lady that sells cookie boquets for only $15 which seems like a steal to me given my lack of baking skills (plus they're super cute).


As some of you know, I've become real interested and involved in making hand made greeting cards. So I thought of taking some of them and packaging them up to give away as a gift. Only my problem is that I've hardly learned how to let go of my creations. It's not that they're irreplaceable and I know that a hand made gift is utterly thoughtful, it's just that they take up so much time that I often feel like I need to hold onto them just a little bit longer.

Speaking of gifts, I have to share with you a random act of kindness that I was treated to on Thursday. I came home after work and started my standard routine of changing from work clothes, etc. I ran to mailbox to pick up the mail and was surprised to find a package from Amazon. I wasn't sure what it was because I couldn't recall a recent purchase from them. When I opened the box, I found a new book titled When Heaven Weeps by Ted Dekker. The packing slip included a gift note from my dear friend Dilene (who has been a mentor of mine in so many ways including my spiritual journey). She simply bought it and had it mailed to me as a way of telling me she misses me. How freaking sweet is that?!?! So I've decided to do the same thing for someone. And I hope that they'll pass it on. Maybe you can do it too!

No comments: