Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Been there, done that?

Would someone like to tell me how to teach a kid to ride a bike? It seems like we've been working with Dakota all summer. Now the truth is that we might work on it for 15 minutes and then go inside because of the heat or the mosquitos and then not try again until three weeks later, but the point is that we've been up and down the sidewalk lots of times and he's still not riding the damn bike!

What's most amazing is that this child can be one of the most courageous kids I know. He tackled kindergarden like a champ and he's not afraid to go up to a house and ask a neighbor kid's mom if his buddy can come out and play. But when it comes to anything physical (e.g. riding a bike) he lacks even a smiggin of confidence. Well, that's not entirely true...if I jump up and down and clap my hands like crazy if he goes five feet then he's beaming with a beautiful smile. You get the idea.

So, if you have any tips on how to keep of kid from bailing into the grass everytime the handle bars sway, or how to keep a kid from crying every time his mom shows a look of frustration, I'm all ears!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading that blog, and the OU pics were great! I’m glad you guys had such a good time.

Now, I’m telling you this as your friend………..this is after I busted out laughing at the last entry. I mean it, I chortled out loud at work.

There is no set time to learn to ride your bike and they’re supposed to be fun, a mode of transportation…. not discouraging. He’ll get it, just hang in there.

Maybe mentioning putting back on the training wheels might do the trick, who knows but the thing is he needs to have fun, God bless him, not cry. That part kind of broke my heart for the little fella.

Don’t get down, he’s SO perfect and he’s going to get it, he’s only 5.

Hang in there my dear, and you might save this message for me when I start asking the same thing with my son. Elle won’t be an issue, she’ll probably have it mastered in the next few months.

Your wise friend.