Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You Never Know

As some of you know, I am actively involved in a local organization called The Margaret Hudson Program which is a school for pregnant and parenting teens. MHP offers a variety of services to our girls and their babies beyond the standard academic services including health care, child care, counseling services, nutrition services and more. Our goal is to make these girls self sustaining, contributing members of our community. We help teen families succeed! The program is very near and dear to my heart.

I recently learned of the pending retirement of a long time nurse of ours. While retirement is often "no bid deal" I found this news to be especially disturbing because I know that this woman offers care to our students well beyond that of a nurse. She's a second mom to some of these girls who are so young and yet becoming mothers themselves. Often times, these girls don't have mothers of their own that are strong role models so nurse Marilyn is a real blessing in their lives.

During one of our facility tours, I took a moment to walk up to Marilyn and let her know how disappointed I am that we are losing her but how happy I am for her and her retirement. I wanted her know that she is valued, appreciated and she will be missed. Our entire dialogue lasted no more than two minutes.

Just yesterday I was at one of our campuses dropping off my friend's maternity clothes as a donation to the girls. While I was in the lobby, Marilyn came up to me with tears in her eyes and told me the difference that I'm making for MHP. And she proceeded to inform me that my words to her during the tour had meant so much to her and that a bit of encouragement can go a long way. Her lip quivered, he eyes ran full and she was truly grateful.

This just goes to show how much a few sincere words can really mean to a person. You just never know the impact that you have on another life even when you are going thru life as usual. It felt good to make her happy. And Marilyn will be sadly missed.

No comments: